Ravalli County Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence
The goal of the Ravalli County Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence is to create a coordinated community response to domestic and sexual violence in Ravalli County, Montana. Guided by the work of seven committees, the Coalition works to end intimate partner and sexual violence in our community through collaborative intervention, prevention and primary prevention projects. To learn more about the Coalition, e-mail
The Ravalli County Coalition Against Domestic & Sexual Violence formed in 1998. That year, people signed on to create a community coordinated response to domestic violence in Ravalli County. In the decades since, many of the Coalition’s original members have stayed active and new faces have joined. The Coalition is currently comprised of seven committees: Children’s Issues, Legal Issues, Medical Issues, Religious Issues, Workplace Issues, Community Education, and Primary Prevention. In 2009, the Coalition undertook a reorganization to develop guiding principles and practices for its work. As part of this process, each committee developed a long-range action plan. The Coalition held its first member retreat and community training in the fall of the 2009. The Ravalli County Coalition Against Domestic & Sexual Violence is, proudly, one of the oldest and most dynamic community coalitions in the state of Montana.
As members we agree the following principles are central to our collaboration and community work
- EMPATHY & COMPASSION
- LEARNING & GROWTH
- COMMUNITY COLLABORATION
The Coalition is comprised of seven issue-oriented committees
- Children’s Issues (2012) – works to increase the capacity of the community to identify and respond to intimate partner and sexual in ways that enhance both safety and well-being; offer services that support the prevention of further IPV and SV for those families who have experienced violence; and, support the development of healthy relationships as an aspect of overall health and well-being.
- Community Education (2009) – works to increase the capacity of community members to address intimate partner and sexual violence, identify the conditions that support intimate partner and sexual violence, and take action to prevent intimate partner and sexual violence.
- Legal Issues (1998) – works to increase safety and accountability in the legal system, and lead legal professionals to respond to intimate partner and sexual violence with fairness, support and respect. Works to lead the legal community in effective and knowledgeable collaborations and promote both legal resources and healthy relationships.
- Medical Issues (1998) – works to lead the medical community to respond to intimate partner and sexual violence with the highest quality clinical and compassionate response and to support and promote healthy relationships as a part of overall health.
- Primary Prevention (2005) – works to prevent the first-time perpetration of intimate partner and sexual violence by supporting healthy relationship education in local schools, building the capacity of schools and parents to model and support healthy relationships, and facilitating youth engagement and leadership to prevent violence.
- Religious Issues (1998) – works to lead faith communities in efforts to support and promote safe and healthy relationships.
- Workplace Issues (2006) – works to lead employers to create safe, supportive work environments for survivors of intimate partner and sexual violence and their co-workers, and to promote healthy relationships.
To request additional information about the Ravalli County Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence, e-mail